Briefly, what is the process to get our marriage registered in India under the Special Marriages Act? I am an Indian citizen (Hindu) getting married to an American citizen (Agnostic) in India on the 9th of June, and we both normally live in Australia. As I understand it, one of the requirements under the Special Marriages Act is that at least one of the people getting married is resident in the district the marriage is registered in. Noting that I will be travelling to India for a few days over Easter break (16/17 April), both of us will only return to India to get married on 28 May. We have tickets to return to Australia on 22 June. Additionally, I will be living in Gurgaon while the wedding ceremonies will take place in Agra. Is there any way we can register the marriage in India despite the fact that neither of us will be resident for 30 days? What is the evidence we need for the residency, and is there any way to get the process started early so we meet the requirement?

You will be needing residential proof to prove that you are a citizen of India. Proof can be an Aadhaar Card, Election ID Card, etc. You will be needing marriage photographs, wedding cards as well however if you don't retain these documents then any proof of marriage. Book a consultation for more detailed discussion.

Kindly book a consultation for detailed discussion.

In case a marriage between an Indian and a foreign national is to take place in India, the marriage has to solemnize under the Special Marriage Act. It is required to file a notice of intended marriage with Marriage Registrar of your choice in India. That notice is required to be published for the stipulated 30 days. At the end of the 30 days the Marriage Registrar is free to perform the marriage.The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner temporarily resident in India.If one partner is residing in a foreign country then the partner who is resident in India will have to fill out the “Marriage Notice”collected from the Marriage Registration Office of his/her choice in India and send it to his/her partner in the foreign country who will also have to fill it out.

Ajay N S
Advocate Ajay N S
15 Jun 2022 08:58 PM

Hello If its convenient, can we fix an appointment regarding your matter.

You can get your self married under provision of Special Marriage Act in India. It can be simply done without much administrative intervention. You can book a consultation with me. 30 days residence requirement in compulsory either of you have to be a resident in any part of India for 30 days. I can possibly think of way out by arranging a rent agreement.

Hello... Congratulations. You can get your marriage registered in India. But prior that you need to stay here for more than 30 days as 30 days notice to be given to marriage officer. You need to have arrange following papers 1. Proof of DOB, address and passport size photo, 2. Vise > 30days, 3. Affidavit for single status, 4. NOC from embassy of respective country. You can also get your marriage registered under Foreign Marriage Act

I can register your marriage documents required for this is aadhar card, pan card, and passport and 4-4 passport size photographs.

Proof of residence is of utmost importance to register marriage under Special Marriage Act. Firstly, you need to visit the concerned Jurisdictional Marriage Registar to start the process and filing of the issue which will take some days as of the part of procedure. If you wish detailed information do book a slot

It can be done easily. I can tell you the whole process. Kindly book a consultation for the same.

Dear client you can get your marriage registered in one day in arya samaj mandir you will get your marriage certificate on the same day in karkardoom district court after and the second option is that if you wish you you can appear before the SDM court also where you can get your marriage registered but this second process will take more than 15 days. for further discussion, please book a consultation here online. Thanks and regards. Prince Assal, Advocate, Delhi High Court & District Court